Wednesday, January 22, 2014

unforgettable

We were sitting in the very back corner booth of Cuquita's, a Mexican restaurant in Dallas. Bellesa was climbing all over me and her dad as we sat and waited. Suddenly, "Volver, Volver" by Vicente Fernandez started playing overhead, was it coincidence? Moments later...and I do mean moments, in walks this figure no taller than 5'5 that's without his ranchero sombrero, black leather jacket like I always remembered, big bulky belt buckle, clean black ironed slacks and his sharp cowboy boots. I arose as he neared towards me and was shaking so bad I was just hoping nobody else could notice. He approached me raised his arms and dressed me with a huge hug, we both broke down into tears. We held each other for quite some time and as we began to let loose, I took in a breath to get a scent. I then said, "hueles el mismo", (you smell the same). He has small dark aged eyes, older wiser hands, and wore a sad, hurt and relieved smile.   We all sat down and I began talking and introducing my daughter to her grandfather, and my boyfriend to my Dad. We had not seen each other in 22 years.  The entire time we sat at the table I was trembling, shaking, sweating and nervous. I was still in awe that I was face to face with the man I have always thought just vanished. I could see and feel the hurt in him as well. It was like as if we both had a huge burden lifted from our shoulders and I could literally feel it being lifted. After dinner, we started towards the entrance to say our goodbyes and took a picture. My dad led me to the front door by arm and walked me to our vehicle. He had this firm grip on my arm that I will never forget. It was not harmful in anyway, it was more as if he finally had me in his arms and he did not want to let me go. He gave me hug after hug and told me how much he loved me. He opened my car door for me and we said our last goodbye for the evening. I got in the car and waited for him to leave the parking lot. I broke into tears when he pulled off, I could finally breathe, I could finally let all of that pain go. It was those little things that I missed most as a little girl. Your dad walking you to the car, opening the door for you, giving you these big bear hugs and being told you are loved. What seems natural and common for most, wasn't for me. I got a taste of it again that evening and that is what was so relieving. I had been holding on to so many mixed emotions for so long and was able to rid myself of always being in the unknown. I now have a great relationship with my father. As an adolescent, I envied my friends and family who had their dad in their lives and now as an adult and have my own child, I see things so much more different. There are different situations for each and every single person. Not any one person is the same as another. I have grown enough and have experienced quite a bit to fully understand that things happen for a reason. It may not be the reason we like but in the end, timing is everything and why things occur at certain times we will never know, however I like to think that all the dots connect as they should when it is all said and done. I really owe Marcio a huge thanks for actually making me commit to seeing my dad, he opened my eyes to a dad's point of view and thankfully I had an open mind and am forever grateful. Reuniting with my dad was a ginormous step for me in sooo many ways. It is a memory I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment